The Old Colonial Inn on Brunswick St, which closed in the middle of last year, has been bought by developers who have submitted plans to council indicating that they want to build a much larger venue with the capacity for many more customers than allowed for by the existing pub licence.
The following information comes courtesy of the Old Colonial Inn Action Group (Facebook), which has started a campaign to challenge what it sees as the excessive redevelopment proposal for the building. It claims that the redevelopment proposes:
- A huge new clubbing environment with triple the existing floor size
- Licensed for more than 500 patrons
- A party venue, not a local pub, with a 3.00am liquor licence for drinking six nights a week
- New open outdoor bars / decks on the first and second floors with no noise control
- No car parking or bicycle parking provided
- No strategy to minimise noise transmission into residential areas.
The group believes this is out of character and out of scale with Brunswick St and Fitzroy. They compare it to King St in the CBD.
I think most Fitzroy residents don’t want such large venues with so many patrons open very late at night. We’d prefer it if all the bogans went to King St. We don’t want to invite more of their violent anti-social behaviour into Fitzroy.